Jan 27, 2009

So Totally Bangin'


















This blurry photo has been brought to you by the letter B (for bangs!), and my happy new hair.

KJ and I headed out to West Seattle to get our hair done by
my friend, Michele, pictured here. She and I used to work together at another West Seattle salon that shall remain nameless (sorry, I'm only plugging Michele today), but only for a week. We stayed in touch off and on, and finally hung out last month, which served to remind me how sweet and completely awesome she is: positive without being too cheesy, energetic without tiring me out, smart, funny, laid-back, responsible. I don't normally care about how responsible my hairstylist is, but I've had stylists who call in sick a lot, or who partied too much to make it into work. I need someone reliable, not a coked-up, 22-year old boob-job-waiting-to-happen.

Michele inverted my hairstyle so that it was longer in the front, and fixed my forehead clusterfuck so I have... I dunno, sortof-sideswept bangs. Of course, right now they're pulled back and nowhere to be found, but that's because I'm still in my pajamas. Pajamas do not warrant flat-ironing the hair; only a trip to the outside world does.




















[Michele and KJ, the Esq's seester, with her new 'do.]

Go see Michele because:

1. You live in West Seattle, or have a car that will take you there. It's worth the drive (and the drive is nice).

2. She listens. So many stylists do not. I think (and KJ can pipe in her opinion, too) that she listened to what we both wanted, and did exactly that. We were both happy with the end results.

3. The price point is very reasonable, especially since Michelle has been doing hair forever. Also: the hair color line is organic, and doesn't smell AT ALL. That's pretty impressive (and KJ's color still looks good).

4. It's cool to support your local small business owners! Shake your fist at the Gene Juarez Monopoly, no matter how beautiful their bathrooms are--why pay money to go around on the assembly line merry-go-round, when you can have an actual relationship with someone who cares about your hair?

5. I said so. And when it comes to the salon/spa industry (and its' professionals), I have excessively high standards and expectations, as my long-time readers know. Michele met every one of them.

My only gripe was that I don't live in West Seattle; I thought it would be a longer drive, but we left with twenty minutes to get there, and made it in time. It's a sweet little salon, nicely decorated, clean--if you're looking for a nice space, an awesome stylist, a GREAT haircut, look no further. For reals.

***Update: Maybe I should have mentioned the freaking salon name, durrr.

Salon Julian
7357 35th Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98126
(206) 937-5678

(She works Tuesday-Saturday!)

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love my hair! - She is a great listener and more importantly a great stylist!! The ORGANIC product line used for my highlights is amazing and non-ammonia smelling (because it contains none) and doesn't burn either. I left getting what I asked for and had a fun relaxing time with the absolute doll that Michelle is, definitely recommend making the trip to see her, well worth it!

KJ (aka hair snob)

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I'd be a hair snob, too, if I had your hair. Unfortunately, I have MY hair. LE SIGH.

Your hair is hot!

Anonymous said...

You look hot, too, girl! Love the bangs!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Tobias. :) A compliment, coming from a style guru like yourself.

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived anywhere near West Seattle--but I'll tell my friends closer to there about Michele! We need better hair people in N. Bend.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I think I know where North Bend is... it's like "Far Away", right? Right.

In a small town, it's always hard to find exceptional service people (in this industry) because they've usually been doing it since the 1960's. It's getting better, though, thanks to better training and the internet.

Anonymous said...

whee! i love the hair. i approve.

-geoff

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, she totally fixed it! I was kinda wondering what sort of magic would be needed. :p

You're so lucky to have curly hair, tho- you prolly don't think so, but with stick straight hair like mine, I'm envious!!!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Geoff: thanks for the approval, Mom.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Stacy: we always want what we can't have. Like, I want my metabolism to work overtime, but it's generally unemployed, like me. I think your hair is pretty, though. That straight golden honey wheat hair, you bitch.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, both of you look good

Anonymous said...

You both look so cute!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Anonymous, I think.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Jules--I think, as a rule, the younger cuter one should be called 'cute'. Or hot or gorgeous or whatever. I would like to be called 'human-like.'

Anonymous said...

I think all three of you are amazingly human-like.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Rick: still laughing. Haven't stopped yet.

Laura Lawrence said...

What's the name of the salon? Or do I need to work on my remedial reading skills?

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Laura! I can't believe I forgot that info, duh.

Wild Child said...

Hey, gorgeous hair on you, she did a great job. Wandered in by way of comments at Comedy Goddess: so much fun, I think I'll stick around.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Wild Child - I dig your name :)

Anonymous said...

You guys look great!!!

I'm going to get my hair done tonight - at Gene Juarez. LOL. Don't kill me. I've been seeing the same stylist and colorist for years. And I love them. But if something ever happens to them, I'll be sure to patronize your lovely friend!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I kind of meant don't go to GJ if you're looking for someone new. My last haircut was from Jake at GJ and it was great - overpriced, but great.

It's hard to find someone good enough to deal with curly hair anyways, right?

matt said...

Yay. Them dang bangs look good!

matt said...

My hair is done by Pillow.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Matt, I like the Pillowhead Look. It's all so very Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Anonymous said...

Michele did my hair last week, too. I now have lovely burgundy locks. I freaking love her...and West Seattle. Never mind that I live right above the unmentionable salon in West Seattle. I was glad to bus it over to Salon Julian and I will be going there from now on!!