Jan 17, 2009

Fake News Takes a Beating

















It saddens me to say this; I never thought I would live to see this day. But Jon Stewart, America's most beloved Jew, has officially run out of jokes.

Thank you, Jon, for boring me to tears every single day since November 5, 2008. Two seconds after Barack Obama was elected into office, The Daily Show ran into a problem, and that problem was relevancy. It's easy to make fun of Dubya 'cause he's a rootin'-tootin', high-falutin', flaming ignoramus; it's harder for Jon to take on Obama, a candidate he personally championed. Yes, it's been fun watching the screamy religious news shows struggle for relevancy, but they weren't very relevant to begin with; I challenge anyone to convince me that Fox News is an actual news organization. I think Fox "News"--or shows like Bill O'Reilly--exist to keep your fear, faith, and ignorance fresh, and they're doing a great job. Look at all of the people out there, still flying the retarded flag of Sarah fucking Palin; if she was really that smart, she'd stay in Alaska AND DO HER JOB, proving to the people of our nation that she's ready to be a leader. She can't even lead her own frosty people, she's so busy promoting herself (and defending herself) in the media. I wouldn't like it if our Governor was always out of the state, doing her own personal media tour; I want a Governor who does, you know, gubernatorial-type things, and not just Vanity Fair.

Jon Stewart has touched on this a bit, but in the end, his jokes aren't that funny. His punchlines have fallen way short of what they were a year ago--he's losing his edge. Instead of watching a blisteringly-funny Jew, I'm seeing a sad Canadian clown. Where Stephen Colbert is smart and self-depracating, Jon Stewart is the king of dick and fart jokes. Where did all of the hilarious Daily Show correspondents go? Where are the funny women? What happened to the amazing guests and intellectual discourse? I remember when Lewis Black was a Wednesday regular, Stephen Colbert was a senior correspondent, Samantha Bee did perfect interviews; Steve Carrell, Rob Corddry, Ed Helms--all funny guys. Now they have the half-retarded girl from Flight of the Conchords, a square-jawed meathead, and a self-hating black dude who couldn't find 'funny' if it was dancing on his face. That's quite the line-up on a prime-time show that has won multiple Emmy's; no wonder it feels like I'm stuck in Amateur Hour.

I know Jon Stewart can still pull off a good show, but every time I've downloaded one, I'm severely disappointed. Stephen Colbert is poised to have the most relevant fake-news television show this year, since his character is a gun-toting, faith-having, foreign-fearing Republican; he'll be able to go where Jon Stewart cannot. Some of The Daily Show's skits have actually made us turn the show off, ten minutes in; so much of the writing is desperately un-funny, some of it downright embarrassing. I hope that they re-format or something, because I'm only going to give it so many chances--at some point, I won't go back. Not even for my favorite Jew.


17 comments:

Melissa B. said...

I agree...although over at MSNBC, Keith Olberman and Rachel Maddow are getting by these days with Governor Rod Blogojavech (sp?) jokes. At least that guy's hair is funny, huh? And speaking of funny, BTW, don't forget Sx3 tomorrow...we'll be in an Inaugural Kind of Mood!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Sx3? Why do I not know what this is?

You were very close: 'Blagojevich', though no matter how you spell it, the hair is what you'll always remember.

Anonymous said...

This is so sad, but I agree with you. Jon hasn't made me laugh out loud for a good month or so. I still have hope, though! And you're right on about Colbert--he's kicking ass lately.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Colbert has the best guests, and the funnier format. I also like The Word (and how everything he does makes fun of Bill O'Reilly).

Anonymous said...

SAY IT AIN'T SO, SN0TTY!

Colbert is totally killing it these days. I kinda agree with you on some of it, but apparently you're not a TRUE FAN of Jon Stewart. :P

-Geoff

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Oooooh, Geoff, IT'S ON.

If you're such a true fan, why don't you marry the guy? Oh right, you live in California, where gays don't have the right to get married. Soooooorrryyyyyyy.

Anonymous said...

Hey Snotty,

I think that all of the good correspondents got better jobs and moved on. Now we're just left with the wannabes who can't get jobs in the industry, like that half-retarded girl from FotC. She's a weirdo.

I would stick up for my fellow Jew, but he's not very funny lately; I blame all the writers at that show, and not just Jon Stewart. REPRESENT OUR PEOPLE, JON!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

It's the NotteJoo! Hehehe

It's not just one person's fault, no. But if someone gave me a script, and I read that the odd-shaped weirdo would be stripping and the square-jawed meathead would be playing "dumb", I would say THIS IS MY SHOW AND THIS SCRIPT IS SHIT. Surely Jon Stewart hasn't lost his ability to read? SURELY he has some pull on HIS OWN SHOW?

Marinka said...

Oh, I agree. But I'd so much rather that the President give Jon Stewart less fodder.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

That's the truest comment of all, Marinka (writing your name makes me feel weird, since my real name is so close to yours). I would much rather have Stewart ousted than Obama. :)

Drew Nevins said...

marika,

remember: jon doesn't write his own jokes. he is merely the mouthpiece for whichever writers comedy central hires. what made (and still, in my opinion, MAKES) the daily show so funny is that jon has great timing. besides - too much of a good thing makes jack a dull boy, or something like that. maybe you need to take a daily show break...

~the guy you met at Lucid on Thursday who you said was second in line to date your friend.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I understand he doesn't write the jokes, but he must READ them before he *tells* them? He can't say something like, 'That isn't funny'? I would hate to think that Jon Stewart is just a mouthpiece, when I feel he's fairly informed and articulate during interviews and in his writing. Maybe he is--but I always held him in higher esteem. That's probably why I'm hoping he'll rise to meet that expectation when I know he can do better.

I do remember you, and you were more like third. But pleasant, nonetheless.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'd like to hear Jon Stewart's response to this post. Although I agree, Stephen Colbert's response would be way better. :) You turned me on to him too! (You know what I mean)

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Aww, that's what she said.

I would be happy with a Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert show that mimicked Hannity & Colmes, actually. That would be funny, even though Colmes has already "co-anchored" The Colbert Report.

Brendan said...

Seriously, "The Daily Show" blows now. You are utterly correct. The difficult part about this is that all the way up to the election it was SO FUCKING FUNNY!

I agree about the Colbert Report. He's starting to get funnier than Steward. But another interesting thing is that the financial crisis is hitting "fake news" pretty hard as well. They can't make jokes about people losing their jobs. The audience doesn't laugh, and I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

The Canadian government better do something really funny really soon, or it's gonna get really rough for Steward and company.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I'm glad you agree--maybe we can take our pleas directly to Jon Stewart (and the writers) and BEG them to start being funny again... beg them with a shotgun, I mean.

I never thought about the financial crisis that way before--I guess I haven't heard very many good jokes about it, but that's because I'm unemployed and broke. You have a good point!

The Scribbler said...

Stumbled onto your blog - I think it's great. I'm with you on Sarah Palin. I think she should just go home!!