Jan 19, 2009

"No Lie Can Live Forever."



"How long? Not long."

I woke up with a bright, annoying light in my eye this morning; I dove under the covers for another hour or so, hoping it would go away. When I finally emerged, I realized the annoying light was the sun, and that it was--OH MY GOD--shining. Through my bedroom window. In the middle of winter. I don't exactly know where these warm rays of happiness came from, but I assume they're shining directly out of Barack Obama's ass.

The reign of terror is coming to an end, and blah blah blah; I'm just ready for something that looks, sounds, and acts nothing like George W. Bush. The HOPE- CHANGE-PROGRESS parade will be dancing on our faces tomorrow, but today is for Martin Luther King, Jr. Today is not just a day to sleep in, but a day off so you can help others. 'Others?' you ask, cocking your head to the side as though the concept sounded vaguely familiar. YES, OTHERS--as in other people. I know it's hard to imagine when you're still drunk at 10 A.M., but three-day weekends aren't just for sleeping off your hangover. I know, I know--tell that to your hangover.

There are more than 12,000 official community projects being served today, which is truly amazing. My community service project is dedicated to The Esquire, and involves finishing this huge home project so we can have a nicer existence--I've never worked so diligently in my life, I'm not kidding. This place is getting organized in a major way. I'll also be volunteering tomorrow at my regular gig (826seattle.org) and hanging at Lucid in the U-District; they're an official party spot for moveon.org, of which I am also a member. If you're seeking an inauguration venue, come hang with me! The Esq is ditching me (boo!) to go make money (yay!), so I'll be there with my buddies instead. I've never watched an inauguration, so it should be interesting; come watch me implode when Rick Warren gives his moving GAYS ARE EVIL invocation. I might bring a shotgun and shoot up some flatscreen TVs, but Martin Luther King, Jr. was all about peaceful resolutions. Maybe I'll throw my shoes at him, and become a national hero.

"The battle is in our hands. And we can answer with creative nonviolence the call to higher ground to which the new directions of our struggle summons us. The road ahead is not altogether a smooth one. There are no broad highways that lead us easily and inevitably to quick solutions. But we must keep going."

-Martin Luther King, Jr.


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S where the sun comes from.

-JJ

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Well. It also comes from the, ah, sun. You know, the one in space.

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST! i'm somewhat saddened by the number of bloggers who haven't acknowledged Martin Luther King Day today. i enjoyed your post very much. :)

julie

Kwana said...

Your post title is perfect. Thanks. I hope your day was great. Surprising sun.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Thanks, Julie--I was surprised that the inauguration overshadowed even this holiday. :) But didn't mind too much.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I love that quote, because it seems to go well with the current administration. Hope you had a great day, too--I was actually WARM! :)

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S ALMOST TOMORROW!!!! (I also can't believe I did that in all caps and with four exclamation points. You know I'm excited, girl.)

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I hope you're going to watch the inauguration and cry and see candy rain down from the heavens.

Anonymous said...

"directly out of Barack Obama's ass"... LMAO

Snotty McSnotterson said...

Prove that it isn't!