Jan 1, 2009

The Curious Case of Crappy Movies
















We just watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Correction: we just watched the first 32 minutes of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Cynics said this movie was smarmy and contrived, another vanity project for Brad Pitt; some went so far to say it was poorly written, badly acted, and laughingly predictable. Those cynics? were us.

The Esq explains: "If Forrest Gump pooped, and that poop pooped, that is what this movie would be."

I agree. I understand what they were going for, but I felt the charmingly pointless vignettes were foisted upon me. I felt foisted upon. I also knew most of the lines, because cliches are always easy to remember. This felt like a freshman effort, something he did before Forrest Gump. It's like a Forrest Gump redux. Not impressed, but happy I didn't spend money on it in the theater. Watch at your peril.

Now we're off to try the movie, Choke
.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't like this movie, either. It was an artificial tearjerker.

-Stacy

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I thought you would have liked it! You loved The Notebook. *snicker*
Didn't we all.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised the Brad Pitt Police haven't descended upon your blog for this one.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I was surprised, too. Pleasantly.

Anonymous said...

I like Forrest Gump....

But that's besides the point. Hate Brad Pitt movies, the man himself and all his little children that he keeps having/adopting with Angelina Jolie who I also despise except in Girl Interuppted, Gia and Gone in 60 Seconds.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I thought Forrest Gump was good, too--it was at least sweet, and at times, very funny. This movie was not.

I liked Brad Pitt in a few movies, and I've loved Angelina in a few movies, too--one of them being Hackers, which I can't believe is on your list, or TOMB RAIDER. Girl, that movie was kick ass. Stupid, but rad.

As for the children, I figure that's just a bunch of kids I don't have to take care of. People have weird pastimes. Adopting children must be one of theirs.

Manthony said...

I actually really like this movie, although I agree that at times it was poured on a little thick. It also seemed choppy, like some of the segments were too abrupt. But I adore Cate Blanchett and thought they did a really good job with the makeup effects.

Brad Pitt did a decent-enough job I suppose, but I felt like I'd already seen him play the same character in "Meet Joe Black." It's hard to watch movies with him and be able to get past the fact that you're watching Brad Pitt. Same thing with Julia Roberts nowadays too.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I for real seriously not kidding said all of the lines out loud before the actors did. Epic Fail, in my opinion.

I am in love with Cate Blanchett, which is why I was so disappointed. Everything was so... fake-looking.

I think I'll watch Forrest Gump again--at least Tom Hanks can act. And Brad Pitt can act, too, just not in this kind of vehicle. I like him better when he can be funny.

Manthony said...

Yeah, he's better in things like Fight Club or Ocean's Eleven. I was looking at some reviews of "Benjamin Button" that came out early and there was a lot of Oscar talk. Although I liked it, I didn't see much Oscar potential as far as Best Picture, Director, or Actor was concerned.

Although I liked it and found it entertaining, I didn't think it was particularly epic.