Sep 27, 2008

Heaven-Sent

Photo: Jan 26, 1925- Sept 26, 2008












You were the first older man I fell for; I felt equally
giddy about your Homestyle popcorn, and maybe even your salad dressing.

You made me want to eat 50 eggs and go on the lam. You made me want blue-eyed babies. You made old movies watchable.

I loved how devoted you were to your wife--when you were asked about infidelity, I laughed when you said, "Why go out for a hamburger when you have steak at home?" I knew you weren't saying your wife was a slab of dead meat, but that she was the best slab of dead meat you ever could have married. I thought that was terribly romantic.

I will never forget Brick Pollitt, Eddie Felson, Chance Wayne, Luke Jackson, Hud Bannon, or Butch Cassidy; good, bad, and great men who were brought to life by your immeasurable talents. You were a class act, something rare in Hollywood. You were the very definition of 'cool'.



















"I picture my epitaph: 'Here lies Paul Newman, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown'."--Paul Newman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was THE. MOST. HANDSOME. MAN. EVER.

EVER.

Brad Pitt, etc. etc. are just bland, BLAND substitutes. AND YES, JOHNNY DEPP IS SECOND TO PAUL.

While watching Cat on a Hot Tin Roof I spent the whole time marveling that a human being could look so impossibly perfect. And that he was married to the same woman forever and donated millions of dollars to charity...yeah, they just don't get more perfect.

As far as celebrity death goes, I was only sadder the day Jimmy Stewart died. And Henry Gondorff (The Sting, a top-3 movie) was my favorite Paul Newman character. Brick is a close second.

No one could eat 50 eggs but you, Paul.

Anonymous said...

It really is just so sad. I'd been meaning to rewatch 'Long, Hot Summer'--how sad to be reminded this way.

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I agree with both of you. But Kim, you're right--he was eons ahead of any celebrity we ever had in our generation, in looks, personality, and class. They don't make them like Paul Newman anymore.